You will be assigned to one of the dorms based on mobility needs or as specified in the registration to room with or near specific people.
- Ashokan Hall, close to the Ashokan Parking area (this one also has an accessible entrance nearest to the Ashokan parking area).
- Shawangunk Hall (southeast of Ashokan)
- Minnewaska Hall (south of Peregrine Dining Hall).
- Single Room ($60 per night)
- Shared Double Room ($30 per night)
|Shawangunk Gateway Campground||Location Map||9 min||$24||See below.|
|Stone Mountain Farm||Location Map||12 min||$105||“Glamping” option: Tentrr Signature Site – Grotto View (1 site)|
|NYC North/Newburg KOA||Location Map||14 min||$50||Rate for two adults, no kids, no pets in a tent site in the heart of the campground: sites hold up to 6 people, but rates go up as you add additional adults, kids, and/or pets.|
LIMITED camping is available at the American Alpine Club’s Samuel Pryor III Shawangunk Gateway Campground in the Gunks just outside of New Paltz. The AAC has provided a promotion code of AACATVista2022 so that our participants will get the AAC member rate of $24 per night (Normal non-AAC member price is $38 per night).
The sites have 12’x12’ tent platforms, and each site can accommodate up to 4 people in up to two tents on the platform. They suggested that two “close friend groups” can take one site. August dates fill up quickly, and their reservation system is now active for 2022 reservations!
The accommodations include a mix of walk-in sites (a short walk from the parking areas), and there are some sites with a parking space at the site. (If you have a vehicle 20’ or shorter that can be used for camping (e.g., a pop-up camper), you can choose a site with drive-up capability). If you want a quiet site, choose one a bit away from the others. We’ve been advised that the best drive-in sites are numbers 8 through 15, IF they are still available when you register.
Each site has one picnic table and one 12’ x 12’ tent platform. There are NO OPEN FIRES allowed at the sites, but there is a community fire pit near the Pavilion. There is wifi available at the Pavilion and it also has electric outlets for charging small electronics. The campground as a whole is really designed for climbers and Shawangunks hikers, and there are only about 50 tent sites TOTAL, roughly evenly split between the walk-in sites and the sites with a parking space.
The campground is about 6 miles from the College, about a 10-minute driv. Note the campground has a refund policy if your plans change: cancelling over a month in advance results in a full refunTo register, visit https://americanalpineclub.org/gunks-campground?rq=Pryor
There are few motels and similar facilities in or near New Paltz. While we cannot vouch for the quality of these options, you can look at online reviews. We have some information on the following:
IN-TOWN, generally within 5 minutes of campus unless otherwise noted:
- America’s Best Value Inn, 7 Terwilliger Lane, New Paltz. This motel has offered a reduced rate for our dates in August. Specify G220408SA to get the improved rate of $110 per night plus tax. (Regular rates are in the $135-$180 per night range.) The motel offers breakfast (included) from 8-10AM
- Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton, 4 South Putt Corners Road. The rate they offer us, for up to ten rooms, each double queens or a single king bed, is $299 plus tax per night with a 2-night minimum stay. Breakfast (included) is served from 6-10AM daily. The motel also has an indoor pool. The rate is available for booking until July 4th. Specify ATVista2022.
- Rodeway Inn and Suites, 601 Main Street, New Paltz. Room rates quoted are (a) standard room, $110 (+ tax) weekdays, $175 weekends. Suites are available $130 weekdays, $195 weekends).
- New Paltz Hostel, 145 Main Street, New Paltz (appears to be sold out)
- [About 7 miles from campus, about 12 minutes away] SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western, 3423 Route 9W, Highland NY (near the east end of Route 299), (845) 834-2584. They will provide up to 20 rooms, each double queens, at $100 per night plus tax. Specify AT Vista 2022 to get the special rate.
OUTSIDE OF TOWN “Luxury” options
- Minnewaska Lodge, 3116 US44, Gardiner, NY. Quotes $390 per night, sleeps 3.
- Mohonk Mountain House, meals included, famed resort atop the Gunks. Estimated to be $1,035 per night.
NOTE THAT you may be able to locate small B&B’s on the web that are in the New Paltz area. You may be able to find short-term rental accommodations through
Recreational Vehicle (RV)
Self contained RVs may park in the main parking lot for $30 per night. (select this on the registration form in the questions about Dorms.)
Shawangunk Gateway Campground can accommodate some RVs. If you have a vehicle 20’ or shorter that can be used for camping (e.g., a pop-up camper), you can choose a site with drive-up capability. Register with them for a site.